Table of Contents
History of Marijuana Legalization in Colorado
Colorado is a pioneering state in marijuana legalization. Medical marijuana was legalized in the state on November 7, 2000 with 54% of voters approving Colorado Amendment 20. This amendment allowed for approved patients to use marijuana legally. Patients were able to possess up to 2 ounces of cannabis and were able to grow up to 6 plants.
In November 2012, Colorado Amedment 64 passed, allowing for legal recreational marijuana use. State licensed retail sales began in January 2014. This Amendment allows all adults over 21 to grow up to 6 plants in a private, locked area. They can also possess up to 1 ounce of cannabis while traveling within the state.
Who Can Use Marijuana in Colorado
Any adult, regardless of whether they live in Colorado, can possess up to 1 ounce of marijuana. This policy has created a large cannabis tourism industry for those in bordering states or vacationing in the state.
In 2014, the first year of retail sales from both medical and recreational resulted in $700 million in gross revenues. Today, the states generates over $1 billion in marijuana sales annually.
Where to Buy Marijuana in Colorado
You can buy marijuana in one of the over 1,000 dispensaries in the state. About 60% of these are recreational sales dispensaries with the other 40% dedicated to medical marijuana sales.
Frequently Asked Questions
- Can I grow my own marijuana?
- Yes, Colorado residents can grow up to 6 plants (max of 3 blooming at a time) in a private, locked area.
- Can my employer still drug test me?
- Yes, in 2013 the Colorado Court of Appeals ruled in the Coats vs. Dish Network case that since marijuana is still illegal on a federal level, employers are free to choose whether to follow state or federal law.